Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ups and Downs - School Retreat Edition

I will be spending tomorrow night with ten sophomore and freshman girls, in a double room at a conference center, on our school retreat. The ups and downs:

UP - The place where we go is beautiful.
DOWN - My dear friend can't go due to complications from knee surgery.
UP - It's a great way to start the school year.
DOWN - At my age, though I still love teenagers, I'm ready to come home to my own bed at night.
UP - Andrew is going also, to help with the music, fun time, and games.
UP - The food at this place is incredibly good. They are very shrewd to make sure their dining hall is fantastic. Anytime I hear someone mention this conference center, the followup comment is always "The food is great there!"

I got a biography of R. G. LeTourneau this summer at a free-book table - and discovered that he is one of the founders of the conference center where we are going. There was a long section in it about how he got it built and how the lake is named after his wife. That was very interesting in light of the fact that I knew we were going there again for the retreat. Come to think about it, I may have seen a plaque on the wall of the main auditorium that mentioned that. Will have to look tomorrow.

No comments: