Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Remember. .

In one of his few lucid moments between getting up from a day's sleep, and leaving for twelve hours on the job, Mike mentioned that someone at work had a trivia question last night about the twelve apostles, and did I know if so-and-so was an apostle or not?

Instantly I mentally sang through the list: "There were twelve disciples, Jesus called to help him, Simon Peter, Andrew, James, his brother John; Philip, Thomas, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddeus, Simon, Judas, and Bartholomew!" And yes, the man in question was on the list.

Then, for good measure, I checked to make sure that I can still sing the books of the Bible through as well - but will spare the reader of this blog that listing as well. (The minor prophets, however, are almost too much to resist.)

So, Miss Clara, even though you've gone on to heaven and can't read this (I can still see your big smile, the kind that made your eyes "disappear," and your white hair with the five pincurls at the nape of your neck), and even though it's been more than forty years since you happily sang these songs over and over with class after class, your teaching and legacy live on!

3 comments:

MLK said...

What memories your post evokes. It is too bad no one wrote an account of Miss Clara's life. She was unique--and selfless. Only eternity will reveal all she did.

Kathy said...

I am SO glad you wrote that song down. I don't think I was ever taught that as a child, but I remember my sister singing it for a Bible quiz she had to take. I have been trying my hardest to get that for my girls. We also have songs for the 12 tribes of Israel and the OT/NT books of the Bible. Yea! Now I can teach them the 12 disciples, too!

Bet said...

How did I miss out on both of those songs growing up?? they would definitely come in handy now and then.