Monday, March 12, 2012

Scratch and Sniff Power Point???

I'm teaching away right after lunch, in physical science class. We're discussing resistors, and how the burners on a stovetop are a good example because the electrons going through them "slow down" and thus heat up and make the burners glow. I've got a homemade drawing on the side of the board as well as a photo on the screen. And then - we start to smell the smell of a burner - well, at least something burning. For one wild, crazy, and unthinking second I wonder if the picture on the power point is a scratch and sniff? And then I discover - the flip lid to the box of electrical parts on my desk is open - and lying flat across the "Holiday Home" candle that has been burning all morning. There is a slight burned place on the lid.

All's well that ends well. We averted a tragedy as well as provided a sensory experience for learning about resistors!


No comments: