Sunday, September 16, 2012

Camp Post #2 - Personal Ups and Downs

This is only about me, not about the overall experience for all the teens.

UP - My son came to visit on Wednesday! And spent most of the day there with us, going to meals and activities, and talking to old friends of his own.

UP - So good to see old friends from my own counseling and receptionist days there.

UP - Looking in an old "birdhouse" and reminiscing about how rustic it was compared to what the girls' cabins/duplexes are like today.  They were so small, and truly rough.  I remember nights when the rain was coming down and someone would need to go to the bathhouse in the middle of the night, or times when counselors (I never had to do this) had so many campers that mattresses had to be put down on the small amount of walking space that was there.  This is an "up" because the experience is so much nicer now.

DOWN - My knees, particularly the right one, are too close to the edge right now to go through the punishment of several walks up and down 100+ stairs daily.

DOWN - I am too old to be a camp counselor.  :-)

UP - It's lovely to wake up in the morning and walk out to the bridge over the mountain creek, and just be in nature for a few minutes before starting the day.

UP - Going to the Wilds is always a refreshing experience on many levels.

No comments: