Sunday, December 9, 2012

Birds in Our Yard

You can see a cute little Carolina Chickadee at the tall feeder if you look carefully.  So far the finch irruption, other than the red-breasted nuthatches (which I have not yet been able to get a picture of), has not yet materialized.  But I've been doing some reading and many who are experts on birds in the south seem convinced that this may be a big year.

The red-breasted nuthatches are there every day.  I saw them often this weekend, and have seen them in the afternoons during the week also.  There are at least two coming regularly; this is new for our feeder this year.  Apparently it has been several years since they were in our area.  They are very tame and do not spook easily.

We also had a red-bellied woodpecker, Carolina wren, and goldfinches. as well as the usual tufted titmice and Carolina chickadees, who think they own the place.  They chatter noisily at me when I try to fill the feeders - they are unhappy that they have to wait.

I talked Mike into moving the bird bath out from the pool enclosure, which he has done.  There are a couple of suet feeders and I'm thinking about adding some other things.  I want to make this a buffet for any unusual birds that may pass this way!

Last night Mike went out to the grill to put some hamburgers on - and came back quickly with the news that "There are 22 turkeys in our back yard."  I grabbed the camera and this is what I got.  It's close to dusk, so the pictures aren't great, but you can see them.  The blurry places are birds that were spooked by the flash.

Quite an experience to see on a December evening.

No comments: