Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas 2013

I have not done much posting this month--for a combined number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is so busy with things to go to, plus exams.  I graded over 16,000 exam questions last week.

It's been a little difficult to get into Christmas, knowing that Andrew is on the other side of the world.  It is where he is supposed to be, but I will miss his not being here for the festivities in a couple of days.  

Mike and ML bought, set up, and decorated the tree one day while I was at school.  They also hung all the outside wreaths and got up other decorations as well, so it was a very, very nice surprise to come home to.  They put the tree in the kitchen so that it would be visible from outside when the lights are on.  It is a nice change.  The only time I don't like it is late night or early morning, when it's nice to sit in the living room with the room lights off and just the Christmas tree lights on.  But--they did the work; they can choose where to put it!
It also is not critical where it is placed because we won't have a lot of gifts to open this year.  My children are past the opening presents stage, and Mike and I combined birthdays and Christmas this year by giving each other jackets that both of us needed.  Plus, we'd rather save "presents" by taking trips at other times of the year when possible.

ML also set up our long-time nativity set.  She and Andrew played often with this stuffed set when they were younger.  Sometimes I would come out in the morning to discover that their dinosaur toys, or whatever, had joined the manger scene as well.

If you look closely, you can see that, in her usual creative way, she has "protected" the holy family in a rather unique way.

I tried a few arty close-ups while taking pictures.  They didn't work great, but are kind of nice for a change.
I have much to do in the next couple of days.  That's the downside of getting out so close to Christmas. The upside--we do not go back until January 6!!

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

That's probably the most unique Nativity setting I've ever seen. :-)

Somehow my kids never outgrew wrapping presents.

That's a LOT of grading!

Ann said...

Barbara, I know what you mean, and we will probably do more of it in the future. But right now they are happier with a check. :-) Plus that is all we can send to Andrew in China (by deposit into his account here).