Saturday, August 19, 2017

Fast Food Frenzy

Earlier in the summer, I saw this sign, and thought - McDonalds has lost its way.  The sign is probably a little small in the picture, so it says:  Try one - Maple Bacon Dijon Sweet BBQ Bacon Pico Guacamole.  Wow.  What a list of items to be serving at a hamburger place.


I think this list is because have introduced a new sandwich on which the customer can get any toppings they want.  So we can add this to their salads, chicken, coffee bar,  Happy Meals, breakfast options (some all day), ice cream, occasional McRibs - and the list goes on and on.  McDonalds has lost its original purpose.

I remember as a child when Dad would take us all to the lone McDonalds in our area.  We children were allowed to get a hamburger, fries, and (I think) a milkshake.  Or maybe we shared the milkshakes.  Mom was entitled to a fish filet because she was Mom.  No such thing as special orders on the hamburgers existed.  We either ate the burger with ketchup, mustard, and onions, or we didn't. We ate it.  We enjoyed it.  We didn't think about what we liked or didn't like.  And we loved it.

I realize that McDonalds has just gone the way of every other fast-food establishment in standing on their heads to get business.

This summer, a colleague and friend of mine returned to her home in southern California.  She asked if I had heard of In-N-Out Burger, and she sent me a picture of their menu board.  People there love In-N-Out.  I think I can see why.


Now there is a burger fast-food joint that knows what it is about.  I wish we had one here!

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

Five Guys is pretty much like that In-and-Out menu - just their basic stuff. I like having a number of choices, myself - especially as I am supposed to be going easy on the burgers and fries these days. The only problem for me is that there's not really enough time to peruse the menu at a drive-through to see what's new. Sometimes I'll look up a restaurant's menu online before going so I know exactly what I want to order when I get there. I wish they'd all do what one Jack-In-the-Box used to and have another full-sized menu where you can see it before you get to the one where you place your order so you can look at it while you're waiting in line.