Friday, September 28, 2018

Friday's Fave Five 9-28-18

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. First big thing:  I wasn't going to be able to post anything today due to being at our annual regional Christian school convention in Myrtle Beach SC.  However, it was canceled a week ago due to floodwaters reaching that area.  Now, usually I do enjoy going to the convention, and I'm saddened that the reason it is canceled is due to the hardships of the flooding.  But this year, with all the home renovations and several other things going on, it was a wonderful break to be home for 2 1/2 days more than usual.  We can't really try to have school after all, because parents have made plans, looking forward to this break.  So we just got it off!

2. The wood floors are DONE in the entire house.  At left is a picture from a couple of weeks ago, and at right is from exactly a week ago today.  Carpeting in the den was completed on Wednesday.  It is so nice to have the floors done in the entire house. We are slowly getting furniture moved back in place.  It's a little difficult when Mike has shoulder issues and I have lower back/knee issues.  But piece by piece we are getting everything back to where it belongs.


3. Furniture was delivered today.  I don't want to post a picture yet - not till everything is right.  But here is a sneak peek, actually taken at the furniture store a couple of weeks ago.  The ottoman matches everything else in the den, so can be moved around from piece to piece.  The lady sitting there looks very comfortable.  :-)

4. This one makes me sad, but it is still sweet.  This is the recliner that we got 30 years ago this week, when I was in the last months of pregnancy with our first child.  It's on the loading dock of our local rescue mission's thrift store.  I remember we didn't have two nickels to rub together, but we scraped together enough to get it on a $300 / 3 month same as cash deal, and we thought we were royalty.  I survived two pregnancies and reared two children with this chair.  It's survived a lot of tears, a lot of roughhousing, a lot of reading, a lot of everything.  But it was time to let it go.  There is still some good living left in that chair, and I hope someone else appreciates it as much as we did.

5. Thankful for safety when a tornado touched down north of our town last night.  We were leaving Home Depot and saw the cloud and the funnel.  It could have been very bad, but fortunately little damage occurred.  

6 comments:

Faith said...

Oh my goodness......two whole days off from teaching!! And safety from a hurricane and tornado!! Praise God for those blessings.

Your hard wood flooring looks lovely. It must seem so good to have some of the furniture back.

I hope you have a restful weekend.

Wendy said...

Well I'm sorry your trip was cancelled but I'm sure you're grateful for the time especially when you've had so much upheaval at home. The floor looks great. Hopefully your chair will find a good home. Glad you weren't affected by the tornado. Enjoy the weekend.

Barbara H. said...

I'm sorry the convention was cancelled, but grateful you had some time off! The floors look great. You do look comfortable in that chair. :-) It will be so nice to have everything come together. It's hard to say goodbye to certain pieces of furniture. I'm so glad the tornado didn't cause much damage. How scary to actually see it!

susan said...

You've been surrounded by natural disasters. So glad you are safe. And while it is sad the conference is cancelled, having extra free time is a great consolation prize.

Your hardwood floors look lovely. How nice to have all the flooring done. It would be tempting to rush to put all the furniture back, but it is wise to do it slowly so neither of you gets injured. No one has time for that!

I love the story about your chair. I have a similar story about a leather rocking chair we had. I released it with mixed feelings.

Have a great week.

Willow said...

Oh, I'm sorry the ACSI convention was canceled. When I was teaching, I LOVED going to the conferences. Usually they were the first part of Thanksgiving week, so the students got the whole week off. BUT it is nice to be home for those extra days, isn't it?

Your chair is in better shape than my 28 year old chair--blaming the cat which scratched the corners. But your new chairs are going to look great with those beautiful floors.

Tornado! Yike! Glad you're safe!

Susanne said...

Oh my goodness, so glad you are safe and sound. That tornado sounds too close for comfort. Too bad about the convention being cancelled but great that they gave you days off. Your floor looks wonderful! Love that wood. A furniture piece so full of great memories. I'm sure there will be lots of new memories made in your new furniture too