Friday, June 28, 2019

Friday's Fave Five, 6-28-19

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. These pics are actually from last week, but I haven't been on here in awhile.  The first is a red-headed woodpecker, in our back yard!!  I have been watching for one of those in our yard for years.  I had a fleeting glimpse of one a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't quite sure.  These are uncommon but not rare.  A lot of times people will say "We have those in our yard."  Usually what they mean are red-bellied woodpeckers (which do have a spot of red on their heads), not true red-heads.  I also saw a hairy woodpecker this morning outside the window this morning - another first for our yard and a first for me.  

This pic is from a large area near our home where birds congregate - this is a dickcissel.  It's a rare bird if you go any further east of here, but they are common in this grassy area in our county.

2. A finished blanket.  It's for a baby; I like the unusual colors instead of just the usual pastels for a baby.  I finished it last night.

3. A sewing machine.  I bought it last Thanksgiving but just pulled it out of the box this week.  I got it set up, and started sewing some straight seams - it worked great for awhile and then jammed.  Sigh.  Sewing machines and I have never gotten along well.  Never.  I will pull it out again later today, or tomorrow, and hopefully have better results.  But it's nice to have a machine again.

4. Lovely restaurant dinner this week, courtesy of my folks, in honor of two of my dad's cousins who were visiting.

5. And finally - the scale is reading 26 1/2 pounds down.  Much slower than earlier this year, but I'm happy with the trend!!

3 comments:

Faith said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!! That is a bug accomplishment,

Love your bird pics. We get hairy woodpeckers every once in awhile at our feeder but I've never had luck getting a pic!! And i hear pilleated woodpeckers all the time while hiking in the Adks but they sure don't like to show themselves!!

It's nice to go out to a restaurant for a meal! Double nice to do so with extended family!!

Happy weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

Nice sighting of the birds! I guess the woodpeckers we've seen have been red-bellied, too, because their wings look striped when folded. Odd, all the pictures I saw wehn I looked them up didn't show any red on their bellies. Maybe we just don't see that when they're on trees.

I love pastels, but I do like unusual colors for babies' blankets, too. My grandson had one with a lighter blue mixed with a dark chocolatey brown - it looked so cozy and masculine.

I have a sewing machine and have not used it in a while. I've been tempted to break it out to sew some dresses when I can't find any clothes for decent prices. But then I'll find enough to get me by. :-)

I love dinners out! Congrats on the weight loss!

Schotzy said...

Beautiful birds... I was really into photo-iing birds last year,,, but fighting squirrels did me in! Maybe I will again in the fall.. I am much like you.. I love the idea of sewing because my mother sewed so much when I was a child, but I never really got the knack. I bought one and it took months for me to take it out of the box, too.. Made some aprons for my grand daughters... maybe I'll get it out again.. you've inspired me!