Friday, July 12, 2019

Friday's Fave Five, 7-12-19

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. A chair!!  A year ago, my old chair hit the loading dock at a local ministry thrift store.

It had done its time with our family.  It looks OK in this photograph, and still had some life in it for someone, but 30 years of heavy use had it showing its age.  For the past 10 years or so, it had been in our bedroom for my use, particularly when the kids had friends in the den.  Well, the kids are gone and it was time for the chair to go also.

However, that left me chairless.  And over the past year of home renovations and other things, a chair for me in the bedroom was low on the list of priorities, even though I had the $$ in hand (Christmas $$ from my parents saved for this purpose).  This past week, a local furniture store had their best sale of the year, and I got my chair!!  It's so nice to have one back in the bedroom, where I can go, shut the door, and enjoy the solitude that I sometimes crave.
2. Fresh ripe tomatoes.  No picture because they are all eaten.  :-)  Not grocery store, hothouse tomatoes, but garden fresh ones from the farmers' market.  And fresh ripe cherries that were only $1.78 a pound this past week at my grocery store.  

3. A trip to a nearby town we don't usually go to.  We had a business matter to take care of, so we ate at a local steakhouse with a view of a small river.  The reviews of the place online weren't great, but I thought it was better than the reviews.  I enjoy going somewhere different from time to time.

4. Cheap fleece.  The Beta Club students (and others) at school like to make blankets each year for underprivileged children.  I recently got some good deals at Hobby Lobby and Joann's on some fleece.  For example, yesterday I got enough clearance fleece for a single blanket for $9.  The students enjoy tying these blankets, and the lady who takes them to her clients says they are greatly appreciated.

5. Reading time.  Summers are so nice for that.  I've been reading as fast as I can, enjoying it very much.  I'm only reading the things I want to read - not things that have to be read for teaching.  It's a very relaxing time.

5 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

Nice chair! We just got one for the bedroom for the first time a few years ago, and I love having one there. Our neighbors gave us some of their garden tomatoes this week. I like exploring new restaurants sometimes, too. Good deal on the fleece, and a good project! Yay for relaxed summer reading.

Faith said...

Nice chair and looks comfy!!
I love trying new restaurants!!
That's a nice project with the fleece!
I love,reading all year round. I tend to do more in winter because I'm outdoors so much in the summer months,

Oh....yes i need the summer school break too but preschool special ed is required and it's part of my contract. The little ones lose too many skills and need to meet IEP goals so really the two weeks at beginning off and the two weeks off at end is just enough. But from 1995-2017 i was home all summer long while my girls were growing up! Which was important to me. I'm blessed,to be back in special ed preK. It's where my passion lies.

Wendy said...

That chair looks very comfy. We recently added a chair to our bedroom but it needs cushions! Enjoy your break and reading time.

Willow said...

Oooo! Nice chair. I won't show you photos of my old old chair which now sits in a section of the living room. Very comfy. But. All torn up (think about what a naughty kitty might do to a chair). Someday, I'll replace it.
I've been reading and reading this summer--I found a new murder mystery author and as I wrote in my FFFs this week, I'm completely engrossed in her series.
I hope you continue to enjoy reading all those books all summer!

Susanne said...

Nice to get your chair finally replaced and getting it at a deal is always a blessing! I wish our bedroom was big enough to get a chair into it. Summer is always great for that extra reading. Hope your finding some great books. Garden fresh tomatoes are the best!! This is the first year in many that we haven't had a few tomato plants. Missing that deep, rich flavor.