Friday, October 4, 2019

Friday's Fave Five, 10-4-19

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. This is actually from Thursday a week ago, but I was gone all day Friday last week and couldn't post.  I was at a teachers' convention at Myrtle Beach, and had plans to go visit my daughter (who lives south of there) for dinner that night, when she texted that she couldn't get off of work.  By then my fellow teachers already had plans to go to an escape room, and the rosters were full.  Well, since I was already going toward the south, there was no reason not to go to Huntingdon Beach State Park with my camera, to see if I could get some sightings and pictures of roseate spoonbills.  Success!!  I've seen them one other time, but those were immatures and not nearly as brilliant as these.  Ibises and egrets were also in the water with the spoonbills.
Mike says a roseate spoonbill looks like flamingo that ate a pancake.  :-)

2. This was a very interesting week.  We got a text on Sunday afternoon that the air conditioning was broken in our high school and day care building, with a major part needed that had to be ordered--and all high school classes would be in other locations.  So I taught from Monday through Thursday in the game room of the church activity center.  :-)  It was difficult on one hand, but there were definite pluses:  I got more steps in, and we had more interaction with the elementary teachers, as we used every available space in their building. (I had a last-period study hall in the conference room right next to the first grade classroom.) However, today I was back in my regular room, and it was so nice to be "home" again.  Plus, we all have a new appreciation for air conditioning!!

3. I put this up today.  I really like it!!  The pieces were ordered from a catalog, but it doesn't scream "pre-prepared bulletin board" like some do.

4. We sold a chair on Craigslist last night, so I have a little extra pocket money.  :-)

5. And this one is actually a future one:  This should be our last day of very unseasonable warm temperatures.  It's been in the 90s all week.  Tomorrow we have a 25 degree drop!  Hopefully the hot weather is done now for several months.  I am very ready for fall this year.

5 comments:

Barbara H. said...

We had 3 record-high temperature days in a row last week. Thankfully cooler weather is supposed to get here Monday.

What a nice bird-sighting excursion! Glad your school had SC back. Nice bulletin board, and congratulations on the chair sale!

Karen said...

I love the bird pictures. Their color is so pretty.

Such a fun bulletin board. I used to love doing bulletin boards for my teachers when I was in school, and for our church library. There are so many fun things to use now, I'll bet you have fun choosing.

It's been cooler for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it. I love all the seasons, but fall especially.

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

Hooray for extra money and probably a little more space.
What a blessing to be able to house your school in an alternate space. It is always a relief when we get to go back to our routine, especially when it works for us.
How nice that you’ve got your fall decorating done at school. Do you decorate at home?
Love, love, love the photo of the spoonbill. What a treat to be able to see and photograph that bird.
Have a great week.
Susan from FruitfulWords

Susanne said...

Oh I love those spoonbill pictures. I have never seen those in real life. Their color is amazing. Fun bulletin board! Yay for extra pocket money, that is always fun.

Willow said...

I think you have sent that hot weather west to us. It's supposed to arrive on Thursday. Gee, thanks! :)
That bulletin board is cute!
I don't think I've ever seen that spoonbill. It certainly is a combination of flamingo and something else--I wouldn't have thought of a waffle. LOL!
Have a good week and I'm glad you're back in your classroom.