Friday, April 3, 2020

Friday's Fave Five 4-3-2020

 LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog


1. A finished blanket.  Not sure where or to whom this is going to go, but it's done.  In one way the "wheels" of yarn with four or five colors on each one are nice to use because of not having to constantly change color.  But the downside is that the rows are not even.  I'm not bothered by having some stripes narrower than others, but I don't care for color changes in the middle of a stripe.  It's OK, but I think I've used enough of the yarn wheels for now.

2. Teaching by video.  I am well into the third week of teaching online.  I never realized how my organizational "happy place" was the five stacks of materials, one for each class, on the low bookcase right behind my desk.  Trying to stay organized here at home was quite an effort at first, and very overwhelming, surprisingly so.  But after learning to focus on one class at a time, this week has gone much better.


3. A deck!!  This is the beginning stages.  The tin roof has been replaced on the top, and the floor joists are all in, as well as half of the flooring.  Today the job is to be finished.  This is on the side of the cabin at the farm.  It will be wonderful to have a great place to relax and have meals.  Until now, the only place to have a meal or sit outdoors under a cover was the small stoop out the back door.  That was nice, but the evening sun was always in someone's eyes, and there was very little room to move around.  This is going to be a great solution.

Last Friday's beginning:

And the progress from today!!!
4. More time.  That is the small silver lining on this home-teaching social distancing.  I have never had much time in the spring; the spring break from school has always been somewhat of a marathon to get many things done before heading directly into the huge craziness of the end of the school year. So this has been really nice.  Yesterday I was able to go to the farm, get in the tree stand in the woods, and look for migrant birds (which I was unsuccessful at); then just be there for awhile in the afternoon.  Unheard of during a normal year.

5. The only bread I eat here at home is rye, because it is the lowest in carbs.  Well, with the current conditions in grocery stores, it is hit or miss to get it.  On Tuesday, our store was completely out of what we buy.  I went to another store. . .and got the last two loaves on the shelf.  That's the second time that's happened during this whole situation.  Since it's not really a matter of choice, but necessity, that I have to have that certain bread, I was very thankful to have gotten those loaves.

5 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I am glad to hear that your teaching from home is going well. I love the new deck - and that blanket! Nice! Glad you are staying safe and well and seeing the silver linings in a challenging time. Take care. See you again soon!

Wendy said...

I'm sure that teaching from home is a challenge but glad you had some positives to make the week easier. That deck is going to be amazing. Stay well.

Susanne said...

Glad to hear that you have adjusted to the teaching at home. I can't imagine how much stress that must have been at first. That looks like it's going to be an awesome deck. My mom loves rye bread. I like the lighter rye once in a while too. Nice that you were able to score some for yourself. Stay well and have a nice weekend.

Karen said...

The deck is beautiful and what a nice view you have. I'm glad that teaching from home is working out for you. My sister-in-law tells me her favorite part is getting to mute the classroom;) I know there are challenges that must outweigh that, however.

Barbara Harper said...

I'm thankful you've found ways to adjust to tine new teaching situation. A blogger I follow who is a college professor at a state college said that where normally he'd have a class discussion that lasted the length of the class time, now he has to monitor and respond to online discussions that take so much more time.

The deck looks like it will be so nice! Glad you had some quiet relaxing time this week. And that you found the type of bread you needed.