Friday, July 20, 2007

Bifocals = getting old

The time has come to buy a pair of bifocals. I've worn dual contacts for two years (left eye corrected for distance, right eye for reading) but sometimes you've got give your eyes a rest and wear glasses. For some time now, my family has scoffed at how I've accomplished reading with glasses on. What difference does it make, when you're at home reading in your La-Z-Boy, if you wear prescription glasses and then put reading glasses on top of them?!!

Anyway, I spent the better part of yesterday getting my vision straightened out, due to an error on my contacts prescription and then trying to get the glasses too. The cost of glasses is, in my humble opinion, outrageous. With some lame excuse about safety frames or something (it didn't make sense), Wal-Mart refused to use the frames I wanted to use (unused, $.50 at a yard sale, but nice--don't laugh) and the least I could have spent there was $300. Lenscrafters, WITH a coupon--$450 minimum.

I took Mary Lee to work, saw Sears Optical from the outside of the mall and decided--what do I have to lose. Walked in, tried on a pair of frames, liked them. Then--here's the good part--they are running a sale. Spend $400, they'll take off $200. Bottom line: $221 including tax, and I'm done. Thank you Lord for a nice little blessing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in need of them, too. My little Wal-mart reading glasses do great for reading, but when I look up, everything else is blurry. And I hate taking them on and off or looking over the rims when someone comes into the room to ask me something. When I was at the eye dr., though, less than a year ago, I was fully expecting to get bifocals then, but he told me I had 20/20 vision.