Friday, September 10, 2010

What Happens on a Friday Afternoon in Class

So I'm teaching physical science to 9th graders, last period, right after PE. Never boring, always a challenge, sometimes I wonder what in the world I'm trying to accomplish. There's something about the level of concrete thinking that isn't quite there, at least last period of the day.

Anyway, I'm teaching about solids, liquids, gases, and show a picture of an iceberg in the power point - "Here's a large mass of water in what state?" And several responded, immediately, "Alaska."

8 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Kathy said...

Don't know what this says about ME on this Friday night ... maybe I'd fit in well with your 9th grade class ... I thought, "well, yeah. Now where's the rest of the story?" It took me a while, but I figured it out! :/ Me thinks me brain is too tired!! :) Don't know which made me laugh more ... your kids or my own stupidity!!

rk2 said...

Did I ever tell you about discussing with 8th graders about Puerto Rico discussing statehood? One girl had such a perplexed look on her face and finally asked, "Where would we put it?"

And it wasn't last period of the day.

Ann said...

Rhoda, remind me to include that last comment in the book that I write someday.

rk2 said...

OK, I'll have to find my notebook to share with you some day.

Ann said...

So I read the Puerto Rico story to the last period class on Monday afternoon. Several of them immediately started laughing. And about half the class didn't get it at first. :-)

Ann said...

Kathy - if you read this - did you get it? :-) Will have to tease you at church.

Kathy said...

Hi Ann! I got it! :) My mind must be working better tonight than it was the other night! Thanks for keeping an eye on my girls for me! Was going to go blog myself, but I think that will have to wait for another night! I'll just read yours instead.