Wednesday, March 30, 2011

BODIES


Today I went with Nancy and nine senior anatomy students to Atlanta to see the BODIES exhibition that is currently there (it moves from city to city). It was a fascinating experience. Most of the bodies are from China - in that country, if a person dies and no relatives are known, the body is automatically donated to science. The bodies were carefully dissected out and preserved. They were treated with respect and we were expected to follow suit. We saw every major body system. Certain parts were especially interesting, such as the showing of the arterioles of the circulatory system, and tubercular and cancer-filled lungs. The muscles were unbelievably dissected out.

I was surprised at the small size of the kidneys and also at how thick our skin actually is.

The guide suggested that on one person we try to find the things that were wrong with the person. The black lungs from smoking were easy to pick out. He also had a hernia (we could see the bulge), bunions, a scar on his hip from a fracture, and also (the guide had to show us this) he probably died of an aortic aneurysm. We could see the place in the aorta where it occurred.

The seniors who went had a great time seeing the displays. They also liked eating at the Varsity and then stopping at Chick-Fil-A on the way home for ice cream. We thought we would be traveling through pouring down rain, but fortunately the rain stopped soon after we got on the road.

I haven't taught any form of life science for 20 years, but today's exhibition made me miss it.

I am exhausted tonight and am going to bed.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Orbicularis oris, masseter , sternocleidomastoid... you did make the muscles (and a lot of other things) very fun!

Ann said...

Robin, you are such a day-brightener, and are every time you comment. Ironically, just last week at a homecoming in Prosperity, SC, I ran into the former Mandy Smith (She was a few years ahead of you) and she quoted the same muscles! I still end up doing that every year for the lady who is currently teaching life science at our school.

Robin said...

Yes, I do remember Mandy! Her brother Kevin was in my class.
I do the muscles for my kids every so often. They're not sure quite what to think. I can't believe I'll have a 7th grader next year. Maybe she'll learn them with me!

rk2 said...

That exhibit just ended (at least on of the Bodies exhibits) in GR. It was actually quite controversial with the religious community. Was it showing proper respect for the dead, and could China really verify that the bodies were not from slave labor or prisoners and sold for profit.

When we were in Atlanta for Mom's last milestone birthday, this was a possible activity to do, but several didn't want to do it.

Glad you enjoyed it and had a good trip.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Bailes,

We went to Atlanta on Saturday, and Keith was trying to talk me into going to this exhibit. I'm not quite sure I could handle it, so I liked reading about it. The idea is awesome, but not so sure I would personally enjoy it.I like reading your blog - it's like sitting in your class listening to stories again.

Charis =)