Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Summer Splurge

Well, yesterday I splurged.  Really splurged.  For years it seems like the only withdrawals I've made out of savings were for college kids' textbooks.  But Monday I made a withdrawal, and Tuesday my son and I traveled to Gastonia for a Craigslist meet-up - and I am now the proud owner of these:
Fifteen Hummel figurines and two plates.  I don't really care anything about the plates, but they were part of the deal.

I've loved Hummels for years and have posted about them before.  They remind me of Grandma Hemmer, Aunt Louise, and Aunt Hulda, who had an extensive collection in their home.

Fourteen of the fifteen were as expected.  One was a little disappointing (head repaired when supposedly no cracks/chips/etc.) but I didn't make an issue of it because I got a good deal overall.  The man who sold them said they belonged to his mother, and he was very glad to know that they were going to a home where they would be appreciated.  He was right about that.

Andrew went with me, and on the way home we stopped to eat at the Beacon in Spartanburg:

(see sign behind us).  It may be a landmark in this area, and was definitely a cultural experience, but once was enough for me.

No comments: