Thursday, October 22, 2015

Quite a Day

Well.  I can't take too many days like yesterday!!

For starters, Wednesdays are already the longest day of the week; at least they seem like it.  I don't have any breaks, because chapel is during 2nd period, my planning period.  Students are in the room, or with me in some capacity, from 7:45 a.m. until 3:15 p.m.  And Wednesday is my day to do car line dismissal.

Yesterday the schedule called for teaching hard all day - it was one of those days with no breaks such as giving tests or showing DVDs.  About 2:00 we got a call from the administration that we were on lock-down.  There was a shooting a couple of miles from here, and two men escaped into the woods.  Three public schools and two private ones were put on lock-down.  Per the sheriff's office, we weren't even allowed to dismiss on time.

At 3:45 we finally got permission from the sheriff's office to release the students, but all teachers were outside making sure students got to cars safely.  Yes, that even has to be done with high schoolers under such circumstances.

I got home about 4:30 and immediately started frying the packages of deer steak which had been thawing all day.  I had no choice but to cook - there was absolutely nothing to eat in the house, and nothing ready for Mike's work plates for Thursday and Friday.

Had to be back to church for nursery duty.  That turned out to be the high point of the day - there was only one little girl, about eight months old, sweet as could be, who napped for about twenty minutes on my lap.  That was a treat.

Then there was practice for a quartet that is singing on Sunday morning.

And then home to watch a little of the Cubs losing.  That was a disappointment, though not a surprise.

Mike got home from work too late to go to church.  So that led to the best part of the day: By the time I got home, he had completely cleaned up the kitchen and made his plates for the next couple of days.  He can clean up a hundred times better than I can.  The kitchen was beautiful.

I fell into bed exhausted.  That was one long day.

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

I saw a bit about the lockdown on your FB page. Nothing like a little tension in an already busy day! I'm glad it all ended well.