Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday's Fave Five, 4/5/19

LINK to Friday's Fave Five Host Blog

1. I'm pleased with this (somewhat rough) graph.  This is a record of my blood sugars since January 14, the date I got a blood glucose monitor and started on this journey.  Two meds and very limited carbs later, I'm getting the numbers back into reasonable range.  The horizontal line is at 125, which is a good target point for a diabetic.

2. This has been spring break week, and I've had a good week.  For some reason, spring break always seems to fly.  Monday goes reasonably slowly, but the rest of the week is like rolling down a hill - time seems to go faster and faster.  But many (not all) of the items on the to-do list have gotten done.  Today I got out by myself and did some shopping, some of it just for fun.

3. We had a nice lunch with my sister on Sunday before taking her to the airport for her trip to her home.  Thank you, Rhoda!

4. Last Friday about this time, Mike and I were headed home from Pigeon Forge with a group of high school students (my homeroom).  We were there overnight.  I highly recommend the Titanic Museum - it is very good, with artifacts brought up from the ocean floor by the group of adventurers that found the ship in the ocean some 20 years ago.  The group also ate at the Apple Barn, went go-carting, and spent most of Friday at Dollywood.  And they were such a good group.  They did everything I asked of them, cheerfully, and I knew I could trust them without feeling like I had to watch their every move.  It is a big responsibility to take other people's children on an overnight trip, and it is a blessing when it is a good trip because the students cooperate.

5. And finally, I'm thankful for the heritage of a great Christian man who crossed over to the other side this week.  I hope to write more about him soon.  He and his wife were/are dear personal friends, and they have been on my mind all week.  But I will save more details for (hopefully) another post.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow you're doing really well with your sugar levels. Hopefully you're feeling the benefits of the changes you're making. Yes taking kids away overnight is a huge responsibility. I didn't usually go out on trips but when I worked in a school I was responsible for making sure risk assessments were done for all trips. That was hard enough. Sorry for your loss. Hope you can enjoy the last days of your break.

Faith said...

good for you with your blood sugar levels. My husband needs to eat less bad carbs and more complex ones but because of his heart issues not blood sugar. I need to encourage him more I think.

How wonderful that your field trip was such a success. Sounds like fun even though I'm not sure I could take a whole bunch of teens on an overnight! (I teach preK special ed...definitely couldn't do that either! :) )

I'm sorry to hear about your friend but sounds like it is heaven's gain.

Enjoy the weekend....our spring break is Good Friday through that whole next week and I cannot wait!!!

Barbara H. said...

So glad your blood sugar levels are improving! Good work! Glad you had a good spring break and time with your sister. I've wanted to try the Titanic some time. Love the Apple Barn! I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and thankful he leaves such a good heritage behind.