Friday, March 27, 2020

Friday's Fave Five 3-27-20

LINK to Friday's Fave Five host blog

1. I have survived a full week of on-line teaching.  It is somewhat intimidating.  Especially because we are a private school, I feel the need to really teach - not just give assignments and have the students return them to me.  So I've been making some short videos.  Two days ago I went in to the science lab, pulled out all my examples of metals and non-metals, and did demonstrations with them. It's a lot of work but satisfying in the end to feel that it's been a worthwhile process.

2. Last week I made a chocolate cheesecake that was completely low carb and that my husband and parents said did not taste low-carb at all.  In fact, the last two days, Mike has been asking me if I got another one made.  I think that is a hint.  :-)  I guess I will try to get busy today.  Maybe this time I will get a picture to post.  EDIT:  I got one made.  :-)


3. The upside to sheltering in place is that we are living a quieter life.  For the first time ever, I have enough time in the spring to enjoy the bird life that is most active in this season.  And we have the farm property this year, so I can ride out there with Mike, hike out to one of the deer stands, and see things I've not gotten to experience due to teaching full-time for so many years - more years than we've even been interested in birds.  Which leads me to the next one:

4. This photo.  I got it yesterday of a black-and-white warbler.  Those little things move so quickly that they are about impossible to photograph, or even see with binoculars, because by the time I've got the spot found in the eyepiece of camera or binocs, the bird has moved.  It took me about a dozen camera clicks, and then cropping, to get this.  But it is very satisfying!!

5. Still, to my knowledge, no one that I know has gotten the virus.  I am hopeful and prayerful that this will all settle down soon, and also that President Trump will be able to get the economy going again soon.  These are unsettling times, but knowing that God is sovereign is very comforting.

7 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi, I love the picture of the Warbler. Good job! Yes, teaching online is a new challenge. I am sure learning a lot. My students are doing pretty well with the whole thing. Stay safe and well and have a good weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

I appreciate that you are taking the extra time to teach and not just assigning and checking. I need to investigate more low carb options. I'm not a big cheesecake fan, but what made this low carb?

It's so nice you have the farm to get away to. Nice picture of the warbler!

One of my son's online friends has the virus, but no one else we know personally, thankfully.

Karen said...

It's nice that you have the farm to escape to, especially after the days you spend teaching. Without school aged kids myself, I've wondered how the online teaching works. I suppose it's different for each class, but my gosh you are giving it your all! Your students and their parents are blessed.

Wendy said...

We are all having to adapt to these difficult times. We're locked down here so you can't drive out to walk. Great pic of the warbler and the cheesecake looks yummy.

Faith said...

Because i teach preschoooers with special needs we have to do lessons online but we are just giving them one discipline a day so as not to overwhelm the parent.....many are single parents or the child is under the care of a custodial grandparent. Very difficult situations here in NY!! I'm praying we can go back to the classrooms after Soring Break!!

We are allowed to hike and recreate locally.....I'm thankful i live in the Captial Region of NY because that include 4 different counties we can utilize.

Love your photo of the bird......great shot!! I tried to get one on a walk yesterday of a woodpecker and no such luck!!

I hope,you have a good, restful weekend. Stay well!!

Susanne said...

How nice that you can escape to the farm and enjoy what you have not been able to so far. Love the warbler picture. Kudos to you for going the extra mile for your students even when it was extra work for you. We don't know anyone yet who has the virus and so far in Alberta our south zone is doing the best for cases. Praying for God's intervention in it all.

Willow said...

That's a great photo of the warbler! I love that you are able to get out to the farm and relax and enjoy the birds. I've noticed that people are saying that they can hear the birds--less traffic and more outdoor time.

I know that online classes are not easy to start in the middle of a semester. It sounds like you are doing a great job of it.

Stay well!