Friday, July 9, 2021

Friday's Fave Five 7-9-2021

 

LINK to FFF Host Blog

1. Blackberries!!  We have them by the boatload in a patch at our farm.  However, they're in such a wild, inaccessible bramble that I am not going to be able to pick many of them.  An hour and a half yielded enough for a sauce for a cheesecake, and that was all.  Every movement takes special care.  But even if I'm not picking them, I still like knowing that they are there.


2. Blueberries!!  Last year we got almost 40 gallons from the patch of cultivated blueberries that was there when we bought the farm.  This year, we lost most of them due to a late freeze.  I think I'll get maybe two gallons at most.  But any are better than none.

3. A new screen door at the farm.  Mike had looked and looked for one, so that we can keep the garage/shop door open in the hot weather without letting flies in.  But we didn't want a nice new one because it doesn't fit the "mood."  He found one at a thrift shop for $20, got the hardware, and now we have a screen door.


4. Got to meet the new husband of a niece as the two of them passed through here on their way to their new home.  We only met briefly at a Cracker Barrel, but it was a nice and good connection.


5. Wildlife at our farm.  I rode out to the road and there was a red fox in the driveway.  I also watched a raccoon run across the field that was unaware of my presence.  And two fawns watch us most of the time as we drive in or out.  It's very nice to experience some of these things.  Last night we drove down and ate supper there - just plain ol' beanie weenie with some cheese on top that I baked while we were down there.  But it sure tasted good out there in the fresh air!!


5 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Ann! I love all those fresh berries. So nice that Mike could find a thrift store screen door for the farm. It looks great. I love that you have so much wildlife at your farm. Hope you have a good weekend. See you again next week. :-)

Willow said...

All your adventures at the farm make me smile. I'd come down and pick some of those blackberries if I lived closer! I love picking blueberries, too. One of my best friends in CA lived on a blueberry ranch.
Love all that wild life.
Happy weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

Nice to have fresh berries at hand! That's great to find a screen door that fits the rest of the building. How fun to see the wildlife so close.

Faith said...

Oh so yummy all those fresh berries...they're my absolute fave (blueberries). When I was a kid at camp in the Adirondacks, we would find so many blackberries in August and eat them in cups with mom's homemade whipped cream or just plain ole milk and sugar. SO good.

It's fun to see wildlife close by and hopefully Mr Raccoon won't get into your trash!

There's nothing like eating dinner outside in fresh air.

Have a wonderful week!

Susanne said...

I love blackberries. How fun to be able to see wildlife up close.